Thursday, May 3, 2007

Loathing

Every achievement,
great or small,
whether remembered
or anticipated,
can become a wobbly crutch,
and if leaned upon too heavily,
will suck all the meat and marrow
of real life
from our fragile bones.

I was sitting outside yesterday
May 2nd
on our new patio furniture
trying to decide whether I should
smoke my pipe
or try to go to bed early,
while fending off about 15 other thoughts
banging on my subconscious
about the next big achievements
of the next 9 months.

My thoughts spiraled off towards spring
and new life,
and then.........

I don't know if the air shifted
or a twig snapped
or what,
but my mind stopped.
The present was upon me.
I noticed that my left leg was
shaking spastically,
my stomach was clinched,
and I was grinding my teeth.

I slouched in my chair,
aware
of my chest and stomach rising slowly together,
and my skin
breathing in
all 74 degrees in the air.

Just then a giant turkey buzzard
as deformed
as death-rot
took flight from a branch just above my head
and glared back at me
with loathing.

Coincidence?
I think not.

6 comments:

Drake Brookfield said...

I don't think I totally understand this poem, but I like the detail...and how it is about coincidence :)

The Jake said...

Yah, I guess maybe it's not too clear! I was trying to say that when we only dwell on the big important things in our lives, or think about the past or future too much, we don't really live in the present, so we're kind of dead.

Jeremy said...

congrats dude.

i save an El Rey Del Mundo for you.

The Jake said...

I knew you would pick that up Puerg!

Mark Edwards said...

Jake:
I like it and I get it!

You shoved the wild animals back and and faced with the present moment. That is the only place where Life/life can be fully experienced.

How many minutes did you do this for? Just remember, the second 10 minutes are better than the first 10 minutes.

Awesome!!!!!


What I don't get is the choice between a stimulant and sleep.

The Jake said...

Yah, I wish I could get to that second 10 minutes!